Black Box Insurance
For young drivers purchasing their first car, it’s probably their first insurance policy. Getting on the road is an exciting time – but it can be daunting finding the best insurance at the right price. At Marmalade, we’re the champions for young drivers and want to make things as simple, straightforward and affordable as possible!
Did you know that 1 in 5 young drivers have an accident in a year of passing their test? With Marmalade, it goes down to 1 in 13* – meaning Marmalade’s customers are 62% less likely to have an accident!
So, here’s how our black box policy works...
- A discreet black box will be sent to you. All you need to do is stick it to the inside of your windscreen and pair it with the Marmalade Young Driver app. The box transmits a GPS signal to us to let us know how you’re driving - and you can view your journeys on the app!
- This clever technology allows us to offer you an insurance premium based on your own risk, rather than the risk of the group as a whole - and we all know young drivers are a higher risk group, so telematics is a clever way of keeping the premium down (provided you drive safely, of course!)
- It’s not a case of big brother is watching you as most of our young drivers drive without cause for concern - so whilst you can log in to view how you are driving, we won’t be checking up on you!
- The box gives us feedback on your driving events - Acceleration, Braking, Cornering and Speed. The technology will only flag where someone is driving at risk (we call this a Red journey). If this is the case we will contact you within 24 hours to discuss the journey, and improvements you can make to keep in the green!
- Of course, if you continue to drive at risk, you’ll be charged an extra premium, but 9 out of 10 policyholders don’t have that problem!
- When your policy starts you’ll be sent an activation code and a link to our Marmalade Young Driver app. Once you have downloaded this and paired it with your black box you can review your journeys whenever you want. It shows you where you’ve travelled and uses a green, amber and red flagging system to show how you have driven – but don’t worry, we’ll explain this to you over the phone and give you the opportunity to ask as many questions as you want - we’re friendly like that!
- The good news is that if you remain claim free, and drive well throughout the year, you will be offered a renewal price based on your own driving performance - rather than that of young drivers in general. It’s only fair that we reward good drivers with a better discount!
- We trust you to be responsible so we don’t impose any curfews, or complicated reward systems to earn extra miles – after all, owning your own car is about having the freedom to drive where you want, when you want (within reason of course!)
Please note that to be eligible for the insurance contribution, your policy must start within 30 days of completion of your finance agreement.
As a responsible insurer, we ask you read our Policy Terms and Conditions, which includes important information about the insurance. It sets out our responsibilities, as an insurer, and your responsibilities, as a policyholder.
Our Cancellation Procedure states that any refund due to you will be based on the payment you have made towards the insurance, rather than the full premium, which includes the Ford Contribution.